Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Wow, I've missed this and you. Plus, I can't believe how much has changed and also stayed the same.

I got into my first real fight two weekends ago. It was at the first game I played in a new soccer league I was joining. The uniform was slick, the field was grass, the competition was slow but ruthless. End of the second half they were still down 1-to-zip. One of the women from their team started messing with my teammate. Women are the worst.

"You're hitting me while I'm standing still."
"This is soccer not ballet."

Next this woman was coming up from behind my teammate and power kicked her to the ground. Next thing I saw was red...

No decisions were made. No hesitation or thought process. Just pure, raw, emotional reaction. As I rushed at her down the field, not a care was on my downed teammate, just a maniacal need to yank the ponytail out of her attacker's pretty little head.

Never had the chance though, as her bench was nearby and upon me before I could get there. Thank goodness it was a co-ed league, cause the men seemed to know just what to do in such a situation, as they pulled people off eachother and me.

Then I saw the would-not-be ballerina being walked away and as I screamed and pointed in her face "that was all YOU!", I saw the red streaks across her lovely cheek where she had been deeply scratched. Guess I got there afterall.

I mailed my uniform back 3 days later. The League doesn't tolerate fighting. Who knew I didn't either?

I came home and told my husband what happened and he quietly replied, "hope you don't run into any of those people at church."

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray Nolan said...

As you can see, comment spam is on the rise.

I think you had the right reaction to that situation.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

YEAH!!!

I mean:

NO!! Bad bad

Nah - I don't know - sounds like she had it coming.

You are my hero! That is the coolest thing I have read in a while!

True sportsmen and sportswomen do not call the cops! Right?

I have had my share of soccer brawls and 'heightened moments.' I thought that once I entered the Hip Replacement Leagues the violence would decline. Nope.

Two years ago I had a guy charge me in the back - hard as hell - I couldn't sit up straight for a month. I've played with him again - since - just pickup, you know? I've been so tempted to just attack! But I don't.

5:55 AM  
Blogger hijacked frequencies said...

hey! yr back!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Z Family said...

Yo! Thanks!

Gosh - dunno how to do this anymore.

Simnpleton - i'm not proud, but not ashamed either

Bobby - hoped you'd read this! soccer is BRUTAL no matter what age you are... I just this week joined the USTA and am trying to get on a local tennis team.

I'll still scrimmage though. don't know what I'd do if I saw any of them again.

Good for you that you hold back yr attack!

william and elisa... yeah, whatev.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Z Family said...

melissa - yup. i'm back! thanks for being here!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home