Monday, April 11, 2005

SLAVES SHOULD BE FREE

So another great thing that happened last week is I met with Boy's teacher. it was post-banner raising (next day actually) and i was running on fumes all day from being up late the night b4.

i usually brace myself before the parent-teacher meetings for boy because even though he's smart and sweet, he's usually bored and therefore, often disruptive. so i prepared for the worst, rehearsing in my best feigning concern voice:

"oh, i see. well, it's usually the smart kids huh? we'll try to work on that at home... thanks for all your patience."

this one was different though. first thing i noticed was a beautiful picture she had taken of him. it took my breath away. he was totally happy and healthy and in his element. different from the silly goofball poses he insists on when mom or dad are behind the camera. i'll try to scan it and post it for you. probably a mom thing, but it's my blog so whatever...

she then proceded to show me paper after paper of really cool things that he'd been doing in that second grade class. wow. i could tell his teacher was proud. i was too shocked to feel anything but amazed awe sprinkled with a little I got way too little sleep last night for someone as old and responsible as me. it was a pinnacle moment.

one of the treasures she gave me was a little square book that had "Ye Old Journal" pencilled on the front cover. It was an assignment to write as if you were harriet tubman, so i guess he thought that sounded old or something. also on the front were little scrawled slogan type things that often smatter a kid's diary cover:
"do not read"
"privite property"
"read if you dare"
and my favorite ...

"slaves
should
be
free"

she had asked them to try and put their 7-year old selves in her shoes and here's what he came up with:

"July 17, 1830


My name is Harriet. Today two of my sisters were sold to a different master. I will miss them.

July 18, 1830

Today I worked so hard for no pay, mybye I should escape tonight. Will somebody tell? It's so hard for me I just can't think of what to say or do, yes, I will escape tonight!!!

crackers crack!!!!!

that night

I took my two brothers with me but they forced me to go back and next time I'm going solo!

crack crackers!!!

July 19, 1830

My name is Harriet. I am going to find some white woman that tryed to help me before. I think she told me to go to this Underground Railroad place but I don't know where it is so I'm going to ask her where it is.

that night

I'm at the Underground Railroad but, I feel kind of lonely, mybye I should go back and get people to come with me and this time, nobody turns back.

July 20, 1830

Well I see that 300 people wanted to come and ..... we're on are way to the Underground Railroad. Sombody wanted to turn back so I pointed gun at there head and said "You go on, or you die."

that night

All the cops are after me but they never found me, now everybody calls me Moses and I don't know why.

I never lost a passenger on the way to the Underground Railroad."

It left me speechless. and also wanting to ask him what's the deal with the crackers?

Oakland school district gave his teacher a pink slip again. the principal might not be able to fight it off this year what with all the school closings and teachers with seniority needing a classroom.

*sigh*.

She thanked me again for the Persian New Year
presentation, and I said - "hey, we should do a skit with the kids" and before I could shut myself up we (I) had brainstormed a little presentation where the kids act out an activist or person who was an instrument of social change and justice.

(I was high off of the banner i smoked the night before.)

I need 18 historical figures (for each child), and started with these:

MLK
Ghandi
Harriet
Rosa
Cesar Chavez
Eleanor ... (any others? pipe up)

and 18 extra hours in my day, and I'll be all set.


what was it he said she said ...

"You go on, or you die."

2 Comments:

Blogger Radiohumper said...

Save everything you can now. Those reports and pictures will be as precious to you someday as the real Tubman diaries.

Boys are great, aren't they?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Z Family said...

Boys rule!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home