Friday, March 18, 2005

It's over!

hey ... i didn't lose the post after all! but the way they posted, it reads like i did and then recreated it later. but i didn't. weird. anyhow... yippee!

and less work for me describing how awesome the class presentation went today!

oh wait, back up. the video tape of the fire jumping. let me just say the camera does add like 50 pounds. i looked scary, but at least i made sense in the interview i gave and i saw a couple other interviews and realized i know more about the rituals and history than "real" iranians. go me!

so i went by the iranian market this morning with my grocery list and all was dark at opening time (9AM). There was a sign in Farsi on the door that I was so sure read something like "Closed for New Year" but i couldn't tell.

NNOOOOoooooooooo!

boy and i had plans! he was counting on me to bring all this stuff that he no doubt already told his friends about.

So i did what many other desperate souls would do - i prayed. i went to the marina and prayed about everything but the noruz presentation.

i prayed about my dead cousin and his living loved ones

i prayed about my divorcing parents

my alcoholic husband

my faith and relationship with God

my family's glory and reflection of God

and i wiped the tears and looked out through the rain at the bay and felt hope for the first time in weeks.

i sang a few songs and drove over to the market just to see if it finally opened afterall?

YAY!!

and the very kind man at the store who spoke broken english that was still better than my farsi gave me pointers on how to water my sabzeh and sorry, no more sweet wheat pudding. that's ok.

i bought my first bottle of rose water and tons of the pastries made with it. the kids will love these, i thought. and they did.

then i went home and collected the mirror and the candles and the fish, etc, all the while going over my "script" in my head.

somehow, through the rain and plastic covered treats and breakable dishes thrown into a laundry basket, everything made it to the classroom intact, minus some water that spilled from the fish bowl.

and the fun really started. it was fun. the prep was a drag with the mourning and the office moving and packing all week. but the actual presentation was incredible.

i was so proud of my heritage as i saw their eager hands grab at the nut mixture and heard their young american voices call out "eid-e shoma mobarak".

they enjoyed the character that i acted out (a "family friend") who wore a chador (head covering) and greatly resembles my beloved aunt sha sha.

she was really funny. and they loved her as much as i love the real her.

a kid came up after and asked if my son could go to his birthday party next weekend, which was all the applause this mom needed.

his teacher was thrilled and said she wished more parents would give those types of presentations.

and i felt the guilt i sometimes feel that i am not teaching because i could and not many can afford to anymore, like me i guess.

my son blew me away. he was really informed and able to say so. he did an outstanding job and we were such a team too!

and even though i'm the unlikely iranian, me and my children are spreading awareness and educating others about an amazing culture that is beginning to reach past the politics and the hostage crisis and the axis of evil and into our hearts. where it should be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ray Nolan said...

Not all of us 'mericans beleive all the stuff we're told by the powers-that-be that want to control us.

I'm gaining a fascination with Iranian culture.

4:18 PM  
Blogger the hun said...

"real iranians"

I really think it takes longer than a few generations to leave our blood; I went back to Scotland once, and the peace I felt there was deeper than anything I've ever felt in America.

Poor Iran, what a misunderstood country.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Radiohumper said...

The California Dept of Ed. should market classroom volunteering as some kind of edgy performance art or reading. Nah, then the hipsters would ruin it.

I'm not educated enough to be a teacher, but the most satisfaction I've ever felt from my time has been in the classroom.

When I feel like praying, I volunteer in a classroom. If you want to share God, that's where to find it.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Z Family said...

simpleton - i love those 'mericans ... and their blogs!

hun - "real iranians" is a whole nuther post, coming soon!

it is a profound peace is it not?

rh - this sounds sappy, but you're always right about everything ...

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home