Tuesday, April 12, 2005

i lost count of the number of times someone steamrolled past (more like over) me today. when the thing they should of done was wait their turn, but instead they tried to defy the law of volume and occupy the space i got to first, with me still in it.

then i considered that perhaps my friend the universe was trying to tell me something. uni is very soft-spoken and often whispers, so you have to be paying attention and listening real close.

so, while it may seem like a very small thing, i'm committing to this new personal goal just the same: i will be the one to pause and let them pass.

I'll wait and hold the elevator door while you get in and then I'll get out.

I'll wait at any intersection while you go first.

I'll wait for you to finish your conversation, as well as your last sip of coffee, before I try to take your seat and table.

I'll wait for you to go first at the salon, even though you're a "walk in", while I called ahead and made an appointment, because your friends are waiting and I still have some time.

I'll wait because, like trying to walk slowly down a very steep hill, it is excellent exercise and this old lady needs all the help she can get.

After you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ray Nolan said...

It's also a good way to find land mines.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Z Family said...

hahaa! who'd a thought?

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home