Monday, March 21, 2005

The Second Day

So it’s Monday, OE for the second day of the week, morning and we’re all here in our new digs, in the same boat, full of boxes and pieces of office equipment and movers milling about looking for some way to look busy and our office manager listening for applause, which she deserves, but will never hear over the boos and the hisses …

And we are once again reminded of the fact that change, no matter how positive and necessary, is rarely embraced by anyone.

And I am no longer tucked away in a remote corner of the office, but smack dab in the middle of the hub of it all, and I’m still blogging…

But I’m not online folks, I’m in Word, which is where I should have been all along, and when I’m ready to let go, I’m online long enough for “CTRL V”, “preview” and “publish” and I’m gone. Like outta there … like you won’t find me in a statistic for the corporate dollars lost to bloggers.

Change often means a new-to-you perspective that usually leads to progress.

I love these people on the right over there and what I know about them is overall less than what I know about any acquaintance in my life, but what I DO know is priceless and way more than I know about a few I would call “best friends”. CNN did a piece on blogging moms this weekend, and they described how inhibitors seem to evaporate in cyberspace and what was once tucked under the mattress is now posted for any and all to see and admire and invite and observe.

And I find I am so empowered by my time here. Similar to the Pilates I try to be disciplined about, it strengthens my core that supports the whole and I stand straighter with better posture and experience a balance that has historically often eluded me.

Mr. and I finally got some babysitting this weekend of the “overnight” variety. We enjoyed the uncreative “dinner and a movie” that is too rare to be overrated for our Saturday night “out on the town”. Yeah right.

Persian food at the bustling Papa’s Iranian restaurant on university in Berkeley, where if the “doogh” (carbonated yogurt/mint beverage) is any indication of how authentic the food is, then it must have 4 stars but only because it is not LA where the persian food is worth the 6 hour drive if you have that kind of time and craving.

Of course, every other Iranian in town had a taste for the homeland on New Year’s eve, so we waited for our menus, then we waited for our silver and water and waited for our bread to have with the eggplant dip appetizer we had waited for and then mr. waited for a fork to eat his food with after his salad plate was finally cleared with his previous fork and we waited gladly for everything all night as we gazed into each other’s eyes and enjoyed the uninterrupted conversation throughout the spill-free meal.

Then I surprised him by wanting to see million dollar baby – “a boxing flic?” and was equally amazed that after this many years together he can so quickly forget that I’m “jock-girl”, even on a date.

And I found it strangely spooky that I would lose my paralyzed cousin who decided he had had enough of the tubes and the chair and the hospitals and breathed his last the same year the best picture of the year involved the equally best actress who portrayed a woman who decided to do the same thing he had. Once again, well done clint. And morgan freeman is so lovable, isn’t he? If he played an uncle or friend of the family in all of our lives, the world would no doubt be a better place.

Spring sprung at 7:30AM Sunday morning and it really did feel like a “new day” (“Nowruz” translated) and I was determined to be superstitious like my culture and believe that however we spent that day would carry throughout this next year. Frankly, there was so much strife on “new day” last year (my parents were visiting), which did indeed forewarn many events these last 365 days, so I’m a firm believer if I never was one.

We picked up the kiddos and made it to 10AM service by 11:30 and in and out burger for lunch (mmmmm) and then it was naps all around and I made the traditional new year dish for my first time – white fish and “sabsi” polo (herb rice) and it was SLAMMIN!! Something’s are hardwired I guess.

And the hyacinth on our sofreh is infusing our home with the sweetest reminder of the 5th sense you could ask for. And even though I spoke to zero family because I didn’t want to risk any drama on this first day of all days, I was wishing they were closer and happier and healthier.
I am really loving simpleton and hun and radiohumper and big tanky, still. They’re over there on the right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home